Friday, March 18, 2011

One Could Do Worse Than Be a Swinger Of Birches.


 I haven't been able to write anything in almost a week. How pathetic! So much for that goal of writing every other day. I have ideas. I have the time (because I'm not studying nearly as much as I should be.) I couldn't finish a story because I was getting stage fright. When I started writing, I didn't think anyone was going to look at this blog. Seriously. I never imagined people would be reading it and commenting on it. Now I'm not saying that I have a million readers a day, but I average about 200 a day. That scares me. That's a lot of people reading my stories and thoughts and ideas. But tonight I decided I'm going to take a deep breath and pretend no one is reading it. (This doesn't mean I want you to stop visiting and it really, really doesn't mean I want you to stop commenting.) 



Today, like a good student, I went to a coffee shop to study. I didn't take my computer. Just my books. I was focused. Flying through chapters. and then BAM. I came across the word birch. My brain instantly went from "student C" to "spanko C." All I could think of was a birching. I read a little farther and there was a whole paragraph of what birch (the herb) is used for. You will never guess what it said. 


                  Birch is used as an anti-inflammatory and a pain reliever. Good for joint pain. Applied topically to sores to aid in healing.           


Hmmm. That didn't seem right, so I grabbed my book about spanking implements that I just had laying around. What I read contradicted the first book. 


                 Birch is used as an inflammatory and a pain inducer. Not good for joints. Applied topically to bottoms to produce sores. 


I immediately wrote the editor of the 2nd book and pointed out that he was extremely wrong and birches needed to be removed from his farcical book of implements.




After I was finished thinking about the inappropriate birch, I started thinking about Robert Frost's poem, Birches. I love Robert Frost. Love is not the right word to use to describe my obsession with him. I'm considering changing this blog to "Naughty things I would like to do with/to Robert Frost." It's in his best interest (and mine) that he's dead. I like my permanent record the way it is- restraining order free. Anyway, I think Robert Frost enjoyed spanking. 
                                                 
                         Like girls on hands and knees that throw their hair
                     Before them over their heads to dry in the sun. 
 
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like that is a pretty good position in which to spank a naughty girl. 


One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

When I read the words "swinger of birches" I can't help but picture him, with his hair parted down the side, his kind eyes and his strong nose, swinging a birch rod through the air. I'm the one he's birching. He doesn't do it hard. I'm crying because I've disappointed him.

 After he birches me he gets me beautiful flowers and I wear my white gloves and we cuddle and nap on this adorable blanket. We move to London because he knows I've always wanted an English accent and we live happily ever after. 


The end. 


13 comments:

  1. What a lovely post C; funny, intelligent and touching. Blimey. Might be a good idea not to mention your insights on RF in an exam, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post C. I like how you mention how when we hear a word that reminds us of spanking, it transforms our thinking for the next countless minutes. I'll have that happen in class from time to time. Words like "naughty" or calling somebody "bad" for instance.

    They are the keys to turning productive minds into productively wrong minds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post, C. And I remember those days of stage fright (I still get them sometimes). Just pretend nobody is watching. Write for you and keep doing what you do. 'Cuz you do it wonderfully.

    Hugs,

    Pink

    (Oh and no pressure, but since this post was Chrossed, lots and lots of people will be reading it. Congrats, sweetie!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wordsmith- Thank you very much for your kind words. It feels good to finally have a post I'm happy with. I will be sure not to mention Mr. Frost during any of my exams!!!

    Thank you, M. It's funny how those words do that to us!

    Pink- That means so much to me coming from you. Thank you so much. And OMG. 'Lots and lots of people' is a bit of an understatement. I'll just picture everyone naked. That helps stage fright, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I thought I as the only one around here that had a penchant for Robert Frost...

    I wrote a posting about this same poem about a month ago, and I have to tell you, although my posting was quite different, I always thought the same thing about the lines you referenced!

    Lunargirl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps a lot of people are reading your thoughts because they are good, erudite, and yummy thoughts and stories and ideas? Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very well done indeed, C. I never saw Robert Frost or his birches in quite that light before, so thanks for taking me along on your thought journey.

    Also, I suppose I ought to change your blog title in the blog roll on the blite.

    I'm curious though - did you ever finish the studying you were supposed to do before you got off on this side trip?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lunargirl, I read your post today. Loved it. Yay for R.F. fans.

    Thanks, Anne. Very exciting!!

    Tales, stop it. You're making me blush. Thank you!

    Dev-I've been reading Robert Frost for 10 years. Never once did I think about Birches that way. And then it hit me(no pun intended)and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind. No, I don't think you need to change the title just yet. Maybe I'll start a new blog under that name. Yes, I did finish my studying. They had to throw me out when they closed. It was a brief thought at the coffee shop, but I wrote it all once I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the newest setup here with the little bird and flowers.

    I had a Robert Frost book of poems that I was reading off and on but it got ruined in a flood, a whole shelf of books did. Another good reason for me to use ebooks I guess. I love your post, never thought about birches in that way either. I will have to think twice before I order birch beer again. *shudders*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaki-Oh, That is so sad. I have an ebook, but some books you just need to hold. My RF book is old and has that old book smell. It wouldn't be the same on kindle.

    I'm glad you like it. *Blush*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifully done, C! And I love the new blog design. You are wonderfully brave. And you're a wonderful writer, so keep on being brave!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely new layout and sweet post! Pink is pretty anywhere you find it ;)

    ReplyDelete